Content Delivery Network
Local presence, Global reach—Scale from Terabytes to Petabytes on one of the fastest delivery networks in the world.
Our CDN maintains content caching points of presence (POPs) in San Jose, Los Angeles (2 locations), Ashburn VA, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, London (2 locations), Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Sydney. All POPs are located in tier one data centers strategically located near primary Internet Exchange Points. This places the servers at the center of global network peering and traffic.
Our CDN solutions can help your business, no matter what your content delivery needs are. We offer streaming and progressive download solutions for nearly all media filetypes (.avi, .asf, .mp3, etc.) as well as Windows Media Live Streaming. We can also handle any type of static file (such as CSS, HTML, JS, etc.) through our standard CDS solution.
- Podcasters who want to give the smoothest experience to their listeners.
- Businesses and organizations who don't want to host all their video content at YouTube.
- Real estate agents who want their 3d walkthroughs to load quickly.
- Anyone with a global audience who wants to speed up their website.
Implementing our solutions is a simple process. We give you everything you need to be able to take your content and upload it to the CDN. Then it's as simple as changing the URL's in your webpage to point to our CDN. That's it.
General Website Acceleration (we call it "small object caching—content under 50k kept in RAM)
File downloads - blueprints, medical scans, 3d walkthroughs, PDF documents - anything for which you want fast, smooth, and reliable delivery.
can help accelerate your delivery of all your media, podcasts, and your website content. By placing your content closer to your users they will experience dramatically reduced load times for pages, faster and higher quality streaming, and an improved overall experience, all while decreasing the load on your web servers. We have network centers located across the globe to insure that we have a POP close to your users, no matter which country they are originating from.
Third party testing consistently shows that our platform is one of the fastest CDNs in the world. One reason we're so fast is because we've designed our network around the fundamental fact that all internet data is not the same. Our network beats the competition because it is, in fact, two separate parallel platforms; one designed specifically for small file delivery, the other for large file delivery, and the two in combination for the delivery of typical web pages, like yours, that contain both large and small objects. This is what is meant by "whole site delivery" and this is why your pages will load fast, really fast.
Large File Delivery
Our large file platform is based on fast disk accesses, a massive throughput capability and our patent-pending global load balancing solution which seamlessly delivers large media to users throughout the world from all 16 of our Points of Presence (POPs). This platform includes both live and on-demand delivery of Flash and Windows media and is a fast, reliable, and cost effective solution for all your progressive download (HTTP) and streaming needs.
Small File Delivery
A small file is generally any file under 1 Mbyte. Image, java script, CSS and text files all fall into this category. Examples of small file delivery applications include ad serving, ecommerce sites and photo sharing applications. This platform serves most cached content straight from RAM which means minimal disk transactions, amazing first byte download times, and web pages that really pop. Just like our large file service, our small file platform hardware is located in all 16 of our world-wide POPs and is backed by our rock-solid global load balancing algorithm.
Flash Media Server 3.5 (FMS3.5)
Adobe's Flash Media Server is one of the most popular streaming technologies in use today and the EdgeCast Networks CDN supports their latest version - FMS3.5, which includes some of the following features:
- Dynamic Streaming: Allows multiple files encoded at various bitrates to be streamed to the end user. In a congested network with fluctuating levels of available bandwidth, FMS 3.5 can switch between different streams (i.e. files encoded at different bitrates) and yield a higher quality, smoother, video viewing experience.
- DVR functionality: Allows for pausing and seeking within live video
- Higher Performance: Delivers more streams and users per server. FMS 3.5 doubles the video streaming performance of previous versions.
- Improved Security: FMS 3.5 protects your content like never before with enhanced stream protection as well as server-side security. Encrypted H.264 streaming is now supported via the encrypted Real Time Messaging Protocol (RTMPE). Improved SWF verification includes support for validation from remote locations
- Enhanced Live Streaming Performance: FMS 3.5 better integrates with the latest version of Flash Media Live Encoder 3.0. Flash Media Live Encoder allows users to send multi-bitrate live streams from a single encoder and enables the new Dynamic Streaming capability for live streams.
Live Event Streaming
Our CDN ensures that your live events are delivered flawlessly at the best possible quality supported by the end-user's Internet connection. Typical live events broadcast over the EdgeCast CDN include live television and radio broadcasts, sporting events, concerts, and more.
Our CDN's live streaming technology allows for both Windows Media and Adobe Flash streaming to be broadcast globally to audiences of a massive scale. Live broadcast quality is top-notch, with no choppiness, broadcast drops, or excessive buffering. EdgeCast distributes the live broadcasts from multiple points of presence, so the end-users will be able to pick up the feed closest to them, delivering the optimal performance for their specific global region and "last-mile" bandwidth provider.